- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 (15 1/4-ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice, undrained
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherries, halved
- cashew nuts, crushed
- 4 cups of prepared Jasmine rice
DirectionsSteam 2 cups Jasmine rice and 2 + 1/2 cup water in rice cooker while you are preparing the chicken.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger, red pepper, and chicken to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until chicken is browned. Remove chicken mixture from pan; set aside.
Add onion and bell pepper to pan, and sauté 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/2 cup juice. Add 1 cup pineapple chunks to pan; cook 30 seconds. Reserve remaining pineapple for another use. Combine the reserved 1/2 cup juice, soy sauce, vinegar, cornstarch, and sugar in a bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
Return chicken mixture to pan. Stir in juice mixture; bring to boil. Simmer 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened and chicken is cooked through. Serve over rice. Top sweet and sour chicken with cherries, cashews and coconut!