- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (1-pound) beef shoulder roast or petite tender roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Non-stick spray
- 4 shallots, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup chopped zucchini, big chunks
Preparation1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add beef; toss well to coat.
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef and shallots; cook 4 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes. Add squash and zucchini; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until squash is tender.
I paired this with orzo. After cooking orzo, scoop 1/2 cup orzo on dinner plate and mound the Beef Tagine on top, then sprinkle with shaved or shredded coconut. The recipe would go really well with Jasmine or Basmati rice too. YUM!
Slightly adapted recipe from Cooking Light magazine. Serves 4.