Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Baja Fish Taco Bowls


Ingredients:
  • 1 T chili powder
  • 1 T cumin
  • 1/2 t cayenne pepper
  • 3-4 tilapia filets (or other fish of your choice - mahi mahi, cod, etc.) *I used the frozen filets from Costco
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 cup sweet corn kernels (fresh would be ideal, frozen is next best *what I used as corn isn't in season right now, canned is last choice)
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 can of black beans, drained
  • cooked brown rice (I used 2 cups uncooked) or you use spinach for a low carb option
  • Optional toppings: fresh cilantro, avocado, shredded cheese, pico de gallo, sour cream, baja ranch (equal portions ranch dressing mixed with pico de gallo or salsa)
Directions:
  1. Mix the spices together in a small bowl and rub on both sides of fish filets. I used all my seasoning, but this could be easily adjusted for your preferences.
  2. In a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat, heat about 1-2 T of olive oil.  Add the garlic and saute for about 30 seconds before adding the fish filets to the pan.  Cook fish on each side for several minutes.  I flipped the fish when the white color (indicating it was cooked) starting creeping up to the top side/edges of the fish.  Fish is done when it is white all the way through and flakes apart.  Remove fish filets and set aside.  Do NOT clean the pan out.
  3. In the same pan, add corn, red bell pepper, and onions without additional oil.  Stir and then let cook for a couple of minutes without stirring.  Repeat the stir and wait process a few times until the peppers and onions are tender crisp. The "wait" part of this process gives them the roasted touch and blackened edges. Add in the black beans and stir to heat through.
  4. In a bowl, layer rice, corn/bean/pepper/onion mixture and top with fish (flaked apart).  Top with your preference of goodies listed above!
My family FLIPPED over this meal!  100% repeater... and probably next week even! We also did a low carb version by serving up the fish and veggies over spinach instead of rice and used pico de gallo or baja ranch for the dressing, also delicious! It was quick and easy.  Extremely healthy too depending on how you top it.  Love, love, love!  adapted from a recipe on pinchofyum blog.


2 comments:

  1. I made this with chicken tonight, and we LOVED it! I will try it with fish next time. My husband doesn't think he's a big fish fan, but we'll see if I can change his mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Move over Chipotle! I made a modified version of this and my family loved it (including a toddler!) I even had to call my mom to tell her about it too. I was short on ingredients, so I just used the spices, fish, rice, corn and black beans topped with the taco fixings. It was a 20 minute meal. We will be adding this into our weekly rotation. Can't wait to try more of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete