Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Spicy Chipotle Turkey Burgers
1 pound 99% lean ground turkey
1/4 cup red onion, chopped fine
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon Chipotle sauce (I use Cholula hot sauce)
1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup jalapeno pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon sea salt, ground
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
1 egg white, beaten
pepper jack cheese, sliced
fresh tomato, sliced thin
fresh avocado, sliced OR smashed
additional Cholula hot sauce
4-5 whole wheat hamburger buns
1. Heat your grill to medium-high.
2. Mix together: ground turkey, onion, cilantro, Chipotle/Cholula, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, garlic & onion powders, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Add beaten egg white and mix thoroughly. The egg helps "hold" together the lean meat.
3. Prepare a surface or carrying container for your burger patties by coating the surface with non-stick spray. I lined a cookie sheet with foil, sprayed it, and then laid my formed burger patties on.
4. Form turkey mixture into patties and lightly coat with non-stick spray.
5. Grill burgers for 6-7 minutes per side.
6. While grilling, prepare condiments: wash and cut romaine into bun-sized portions, slice tomato thinly, along with avocado. I chose to smash my avocado and spread it on the buns instead of slicing and placing on top of burger, which seemed to avoid the "slippage" factor when eating the burger.
7. Toast buns on top rack of grill, or in your oven using the "broil" setting.
8. When your burgers are cooked, top with pepper jack cheese, tomato, romaine, avocado, and maybe a sprinkle more of Cholula or Chipotle sauce :)