- 1 pie crust (9 in.), uncooked (for a time-saver, you can use a store bought crust)
- 1 T melted butter
- 6-8 slices of cooked bacon (low fat? try turkey bacon)
- 4 mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 1 1/2c grated cheese divided (jack, cheddar, swiss, pepperjack or combo)
- 1 heaping T finely chopped fresh basil
- Basil leaves for garnish
- Basic custard recipe:
- 4 eggs
- 2 c heavy cream (for lower fat recipe, use milk)
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper
- 1/8 t salt
- 1/8 t pepper
- 1/8 t sugar
- 1/8 t nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place crust in a 9 inch pie pan and brush bottom and sides of crust with melted butter.
- Sprinkle a handful of grated cheese over the crust (enough to cover). Layer the sliced mushrooms, bacon, and basil. Finish with remaining cheese.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the custard until well mixed. Pour over the bacon and mushroom filling. Add 6-8 whole basil leaves on top for garnish.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake for additional 40 minutes or until center is set.
makes one 9-inch quiche crust
Prep Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 50 mins
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup ice water
Whisk together salt and flour.
Whisk oil and water to thicken and emulsify the oil.
Pour into flour and mix with wooden spoon or spatula.
Roll out large enough to overhang a 9” pie plate by about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.
Tuck overhang under evenly around the pan.
Crimp the edges.
Fill with quiche mixture and bake at 400F until done--about 45 min.
This recipe is not suitable for baked pie crust shells. It makes a nice, flaky crust that's suitable for everyday use in savory recipes.