Adapted from Real Simple
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons (or more) garam masala or Tikka Masala (Indian spice blend paste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4)
- 1/2 English cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 cup basmati or some other long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, tomato paste, garam masala, cayenne pepper, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables, cover, and cook until the chicken is tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours (this will shorten total recipe time).
- In a small bowl, toss the cucumber and cilantro with the lemon juice and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
- About an hour before eating, cook the rice according to your rice steamer's directions.
- Just before serving, stir the coconut milk into the chicken tikka masala. Serve over the rice with the cucumber relish.