Tuesday, May 28, 2013
Summer Chili with Turkey
1.25 lbs. fresh ground turkey
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon grill seasoning blend
1 teaspoon ground cumin seed
1 Tablespoon Worchestire sauce
2 Tablespoons hot sauce
1 large yellow or white onion, chopped
2 bell peppers (I used yellow & orange), chopped
14.5 oz. tomato sauce
14.5 oz. beans (black, pinto, and/or small kidney - I used all three)
1/2 cup BBQ sauce (optional, I did NOT use)
1/2 cup fresh off cobb or frozen, thawed yellow sweet corn
1/4 cup diced jalapenos
1/2 cup non-fat, plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
1 avocado, sliced
1. Brown ground turkey in skillet, add chopped peppers and onion. Add chili powder, grill seasoning, and cumin and saute until onions are translucent.
2. In a large saucepan or crock pot, add and stir together tomato sauce, beans, (optional) BBQ sauce, Worchestire sauce, hot sauce, corn, and jalapenos.
3. Transfer ground turkey mixture into the crock pot. Slow cook for 6-8 hours, or quick cook for 4 hours.
4. Serve chili hot with any/all toppings and enjoy!
5. Another option for a heartier, but still healthy meal is to steam quinoa and top with cooked summer chili.