- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/3 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Moroccan or Greek seasoning blend**
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 4 (6-inch) pitas, cut in half
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
**If you don't have Greek seasoning on hand, you can make it yourself. Here is the recipe I followed:
- Combine first 6 ingredients; add 1 teaspoon rind, stirring well. Divide mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into 1/4-inch-thick oval patties.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook 4 minutes.
- Combine remaining 1 teaspoon rind, yogurt, and oregano, stirring well. Fill each pita half with 1 patty, 1 tablespoon yogurt mixture, 1/4 cup lettuce, and 1 tablespoon tomato.
These burgers are a fun escape from the "norm" and are bursting with flavor!