- 3/4 cup uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2/3 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh sage, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded Romano cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings.
- In same skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil and reserved drippings until tender. Add 2/3 cup chicken broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in the rest of the broth, pumpkin, sage, cinnamon and nutmeg; cook 1 minute longer. If sauce is too thick, add more chicken broth.
- Add the sausage, cream, salt and pepper; heat through. Drain pasta; place in a serving bowl. Add sausage mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese.
This meal was absolutely delicious and a fun fall recipe!
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home